Five Romanesque capitals were found in Nazareth in 1908. They were never used but had been buried, probably to preserve them from Saladin, in 1187. They depict scenes from the lives of Jesus and the Apostles: SS Peter, Thomas, James and Matthew. There are also representations of the Church as Ecclesia, and of devils of different kinds. It is thought by many that the capitals were made by a French sculptor who also worked at Plaimpied-Givaudins, near Bourges, while others believe the Nazareth Master was born in the Latin Kingdom.