This article was written by Charles Daras, then President of the Société Archéologique et Historique de la Charente in 1969. It is reproduced by kind permission of the Society. Charles Daras wrote the Zodiaque volume on the Angoumois, and published his article in it.
Contrary to popular assumption, the church of St Michel was never associated with the Templars despite its unusual, clover-leaf shape. In fact, it was built to receive pilgrims on the way to Compostela. The only sculptured capital inside the church represents three heads of Green Men with horns. This was the work of Paul Abadie (1812-1884).